Thursday, September 9, 2010

AWESOME: Berlin Street Food - Been a while since I posted here...


So, I've been here about a week now and finally over the jet lag. Continental seems to have sucked the life out of the better experience of overseas travel. The seats were no larger than domestic, the food was awful and the drinks are no longer free. *sigh* I miss the old ways.

Oh, and the jackasses charged me an extra 50 bucks for my over weight bag (by 6 lbs). Hrumph. Needless to say, I will check two lighter bags on the way home and they can suck it.


First up on the yummy parade... pomme frites with mayonaise. I cannot explain it - but mayo here is a delight. At home, I cannot fathom the idea of placing our mayo on fries... but these fries are better and this mayo is made with amazing eggs... so there you have it. Damn these are good.


Second stop on the German street food course was the doner kebab. MMmmmmm. Similar to a gyro, but different enough to say I like it better. Heresy, I know. The meat is gamier - probably from being actual lamb, where in the US its mostly beef - the veggies (salat complex) is different (I will eschew the cabbage in the future) and the yogurt sauce too sparing.  (mehr joghurt-sauce next time).


Last up was the currywurst. A fried schweinfleish wurst with tomato sauce and curry powder. I have no explanation for this combination of food products on my plate, but I can report that it was delish. The fries were excellent too. Coca-Cola LIGHT baby. Oh, and every plastic bottle and can has a deposit included and you take them back to big automated machines to get a credit slip at the local markets. Pretty cool system I think. Americans would hate it.

4 comments:

  1. The funny thing about Berlin is that other European Cities look down on Berlin as a "food" city. "You go to Berlin to have fun, not to eat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it may not be Paris, but so far the street food is yum. I find great joy in local, regional type foods. Basic comfort foods like these make me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never fly a US Carrier on an Atlantic Long Haul, just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had little choice - thats who my frequent flyer miles program put me on - needless to say, I will only use those mile domestic in the future. Czech Airways beat the heck out of this slog.

    ReplyDelete