Sunday, June 6, 2010

AWESOME: Kitch in the ATL


Drive-Ins are an endangered species for a lot of reasons, so its nice to see this awesome pylon of neon advertising SIX, yes SIX screens of celluloid goodness. The stars blink and the glow of the tubes warms my heart. I took a lot of shots of this spot, but this was my fave - the world needs more great neon signs.


Up on Ponce de Leon is this fading sign, a victim of the digital camera that was used to capture its faded glory. Signs used to be works of art, and I'd love to capture this chunk of metal for Rocky Bridges to create with - knowing that its time here is most likely finite. Signs today are just those terrible vacu-form things with fluorescent tubes inside. I love a good roadside sign and this one makes me smile.


Astounding find of the trip: The press on Tshirt shop is BACK! Looks like plastisol transfers have improved, and yet some of those designs are ones I remember pressing on Tee Shirts at Foxy's in the Tampa Bay Mall during the 1981 Christmas season... Of course, this new/old bastion of hipsterness is in Little Five Points - Somewhere I know RM has a box of glitter photo transfers with zodiac signs on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment